Saturday, March 12, 2011

waitingforMMATW

It has come to my attention, that I have incorrectly spelled my child's name. Not only did I not name him Batman, or Robin, but in naming him Ryder, I apparently left out the W. So Ryder has taken it upon himself to respell his name. We were riding in the Jeep, when Ryder began this conversation:

Ryder: "Hey, mom. My name is like yours, M-O-M, but without the O."
Me: "Really. Then what is your name?"
Ryder: "M-M-A-T-W."
Me: "Why don't you spell your name R-Y-D-E-R?"
Ryder: "Because it doesn't have a W in it."
(Of course! Why didn't I think of that!!!)
Me: "Well, what does M-M-A-T-W spell?"
Ryder: "Just me."

So, in the last few weeks, Ryder's name has been spelled many ways...the only constant is that the arrangement of letters he chooses ends with a W. Yesterday, his name was spelled R-Y-D-E-R-W. I suppose it may really be part of human nature to want what we don't have. If we have curly hair we want straight hair; if we have a toy fire engine, we want a toy motorcycle, and if our name is spelled with two R's, we like W's instead. And while I very much want Ryder to be content and not to always be longing for what he does not have, I love waitingforRyder's next W story.

(If you don't know about Ryder and the letter W, more information can be found in these earlier posts: http://waitingforryder.blogspot.com/2010/01/w-christmas.html and http://waitingforryder.blogspot.com/2009/10/from-wiggles-to-words.html )

(Photo: Ryder from the W Christmas, 2010)

1 comment:

  1. Such a cute post! My Cati is extremely annoyed that she has 3 S's in her full name and she can't write them very well. BTW...I answered your question in the comments on my blog about lining the trays...what an awesome question and I totally forgot to mention that part! And I was so happy to be with you at Staples...and with a $1 deal Score! Your words were beyond sweet and encouraging. It means so much to me to know you like the things I create but that you can call me friend. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read our blog. I love your comments!