Monday, September 14, 2009

Sunday Morning Blessings




I never thought that I would be wearing green plastic beads as part of my Sunday attire.
I never thought that I would be wearing my wedding band on my left hand, and a giant, sticky, ooey, mess of a bright blue ring pop on my right.
I never imagined that my Sunday morning to do list would require assembling a 30 pound bag, or two.
I never thought that I would feel like I had really listened well when I could remember two out of three sermon points.
I never thought it likely that I would get so excited when I saw the title "Trust and Obey" or "Jesus Loves Me" when I turned to the announced song.
I never knew how important it was to clasp your hands in prayer until I saw those tiny, fat fingers laced together.
I never thought that in a sermon preached on my favorite verses, the most touching moment would be when the wiggly, squirmy, messy, blue mouthed child would turn in my arms to smile at me because he recognized the story that the wise man's house stood firm.
I never imagined that worshiping my God with my son in my arms would be the blessing, the encouragement, and the joy that it is. I never knew that Sunday morning blessings would be found while I was waiting for Ryder.


My God blesses me beyond the measure that I can ask or think, and for that, I am so humbly thankful.



Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us,Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen. (Ephesians 3:19, 20 KJV)



(Note: I am leaving out the sentiments of the early Sunday mornings when I had a baby that was fighting sleep, a Momma that had gotten even less sleep, multiple outfit changes for baby, momma, daddy, and maybe even others because of spit up or other baby gifts. I am leaving out that on those mornings, I sometimes questioned the importance of being at services when I felt like my focus was so empty. I am leaving out how nervous I was about being able to keep my baby consoled and quiet, how I dreaded having to take him to the nursery, where I was sure he would want to go every service and just play, and how at some point, I finally became confident in my ability as a mother to soothe my child. Of course, there have been times that I have had to visit the nursery for feeding, or visit the lobby for "discussions," or that I have left and returned with a child minus his pants because of a faulty diaper. There have been moments that I have longed for a prayer to be a minute shorter or for us to be able to stand up a second sooner. I left all these things out, because I realize now that all these concerns I expected, but the blessings that would override these concerns, those I did not expect, not at all.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read our blog. I love your comments!